艺术代表性与对同性恋的厌恶

•  
  • 37
  • 2
  • 2
  • Mandarin 
位作者叫 格雷厄姆·格林 (Graham Greene)曾经写道:缺乏想象力是仇恨之源”

这个语录/援引的确很有道理。在很多人看来,人们对同性恋爱的无知

直接关系到他们对同性恋的厌恶。你们想一想,如果某一个人既没有同性恋的家人或朋友,又没有机会上一所像布朗这么开放的大学,那他们是怎么培养他们对同性恋爱的了解?固然很多人是透过宗教“学习”同性恋爱的,(同性恋只是一种罪恶),但那是另外一件事情,今天不会讨论到。

自从有文字可考的历史之久,艺术与人类对现实的了解关系密切。据我所知,这几十年以来,流行文化对大众的影响力越来越大了。我的思路是,互联网连接起来的人越多,吸引更多人的关注就越容易了。因此,大众在网上接触到的内容怎么代表同志恋爱非常重要。如果大家所看到的关于同志恋爱的内容都给他们一个负面的印象,或者给他们造成一个错觉,那可能会影响到他们对同性恋者的态度。网上的代表性能影响到现实生活中。

说到这里,我想以我最喜欢的动画片之一:《史蒂文宇宙小子》为例子说明艺术改变社会的潜力。

史蒂文宇宙小子有几个同性恋的人物,

其中两个最重要的是大红宝和珍珠。

要不是红宝和蓝宝石互相爱护,他们就无从成为大红宝,而大红宝就不能存在。她们的关系其实体现整个系列的一个至关重要的寓意:两个人之间的爱情,无论他们的性取向是什么,都能加强彼此的个人力量。因此,我个人认为大红宝是个又罕见又奇妙的榜样。

但是,在这个动画片里不光是大红宝才体现出同性恋的合理性和实际存在,珍珠,左边的人物,作为一个独身的女同性恋者,在很大程度上帮独身女同性恋的观众对付她们的寂寞。我们不应该低谷她在这方面上的影响力。

很有趣的是,台湾和中国大陆在不同程度上都审查史蒂文宇宙小子。台湾选择把红宝和蓝宝石的一幕删掉。他们声称审查的理由是那一幕的内容给孩子们看很不相宜。

在我看来那一幕的内容是无害的。只是一个女性人物(红宝)接吻另一个女性人物(蓝宝石)的前额。在我看来台湾审查这一幕大有文章。
中国大陆的审查很明显,他们拒绝给这个动画片配音。那么中国大陆同性恋者就难以找到好的榜样。

如果同性恋的孩子们接触不到好的榜样,他们怎么会觉得自己的感觉是正常的?据我所知,多数同性恋的青年人生活在这样的情况下。

周详考虑上述之后,你可能会觉得难怪选择自杀的同性恋青年人比选择自杀的异性恋青年人多得多。

综上所述,艺术的代表性与少数人的生活方式的正常化有个不可否认的关系。
A writer named Graham Green once wrote: "Hate is a lack of imagination."

This quote is certainly reasonable. Many people believe that there is a direct relation between people's ignorance of homosexuality and their hate of it. Think for a second, if a person not only doesn't have any homosexual family members or friends, but also has no opportunity to attend a liberal university, how can they foster an understanding of homosexuality? It is true that many people "learn" about homosexuality through religion, (such as how homosexuality is a sin), but this is a separate issue, and I won't talk about it today.

For all of recorded history, art and humanity's understanding of reality has had an inextricable relationship. From what I know, in the last few decades pop culture has had a greater and greater influence on the general public. My thinking is that the more people the internet connects, the easier it is to get the attention of more people. Therefore, the way content which the general public is exposed to online represents homosexuality is very important. If what everyone sees related to homosexuality gives them a negative impression, or gives them a misconception, then this may influence their attitude towards homosexuality. Online representation can influence everyday life.

Now that that's said, I want to use the example of one of my favorite cartoons, Steven Universe, to illustrate the society-changing potential of art.

Steven Universe has several homosexual characters. Of them, the two most important are Garnet and Pearl.

If not for Ruby and Sapphire's love, they would have no way of becoming Garnet, and Garnet would then have no way of existing. Their relationship is actually an embodiment of one of the vital messages of the entire series: the love between two people, no matter what their sexual orientation is, can magnify each other's individual strength. Therefore, I personally think that Garnet is a rare and miraculous role model.

But, Garnet is not this cartoon's only embodiment of the validity and real existence of homosexuality. Pearl, the left character, as a single lesbian, to a great extent helps single lesbian viewers deal with their own loneliness. We shouldn't underestimate her influence in this regard.

But what's interesting is how Taiwan and Mainland China to differing extents both censor Steven Universe. Taiwan chose to cut a scene between Ruby and Sapphire. They proclaimed that the reason for this censorship is that the scene is inappropriate for children. In my opinion this scene is innocent. It's only a female character (Ruby) giving another female character (Sapphire) a kiss on the forehead. In my opinion, there's more to Taiwan's censorship than they're letting on.
Mainland China's censorship is very clear. They refused to dub the cartoon. So Mainland Chinese homosexuals now have a harder time finding role models.

If homosexual children can't encounter good role models, how will they think that their feelings are normal? From what I know, most homosexual youth live under these kinds of conditions.

After carefully considering the above, you will probably think it's no wonder so many more homosexual youth commit suicide than do heterosexual youth.

In summary, the representation of art has an undeniable relationship to the normalization of the lifestyles of minority populations.