Recap 3 :

•  
  • 195
  • 1
  • 1
Oct 3, 2017 19:09 correction english
Recap 3 :

This is a painting entitled “American Progress”. It was painted by John Gast in 1872. It features an allegorical representation of the modernization of the new west.
We can see that the east is brighter than the west. Furthermore, in the east we see smooth hills in contrast to jagged mountains and stormy weather which arouse hostility of the west. The characters are farmers, settlers and pioneers, cowboys and also native american. The native american are outsiders by progress and industrialization that is shows by wagons, carriage and the trains. On the contrary, the secondary characters are all going west. In the middle, there is a female figure who is Columbia. It is an allegory of American progress. She carries a book which represents knowledge and education. She also have on her left hand a telegraph wire, it means that she leads technological progress.
The painter’s aim is to convince people to go west. This painting is a propaganda message because it isn’t a realistic vision of American progress for giving to people the desire for westward migration. This is the reason why it was used in travel guides.