Miracle Stone Tablet Saved All Villagers from March 11 Tsunami Last Year 大津波から全村人を救った奇跡の石碑

•  
  • 798
  • 1
  • 1
Sep 17, 2012 05:48 English news tsunami 英語 ニュース 津波
Hi, in Osaka I have been still annoyed by this sticky humidity, even though it already comes to the middle of September. How's your region?

Today I would like to talk about a mysterious stone monument which saved all the villagers from the March 11 tsunami last year. This story, which was Published on April 20, 2011, happened to be spotted by me when I was checking English news on the Net as usual.

Let me sum up this long article a little.
A tiny village called Aneyoshi has only 11 households or 34 residents. They say this stone was already there when they were born. "Don't build your houses below this stone." This is a term written on the front face of the monument. And they had been firmly keeping this warning in their mind and no one went against it. All of a sudden, finally the time came to the northeast Japan where the deadliest tsunami wiped out hundreds of miles of coast and was rushing mountain up to more than 40 meters above the sea level. And it left incredible amount of casualties.
However no Aneyoshi villagers fell into a victim. To my surprise, at that time the tsunami reached at just 50 meters to the stone monument.

In fact those kind of stone tablets, on which cautions are written by ancients, is seen around the coastal areas in Japan. But lessons form them didn't help them survive the disaster enough. The thing I got considerably interested in is that only the stone in Aneyoshi is specifically written by the instructive word as "Don't build your houses below this stone," compared to other stones which just inform people of only the fact that tsunami had reached there.

There is one more thing I heard about this long story. Some scientists had brushed off those traditions warned by ancients until the catastrophic event happened for real.
It seems to be very close to the case of Fukushima nuclear power plant which is said as a human error. They say a self-confidence they had overly caused that tragic accident. And it was an groundless confidence, what's called the myth of Japan's "absolutely safe" nuclear power stations.

As reference:
http://www.nytimes.com/video/2011/04/20/world/asia/100000000784105/timescast--warnings-written-in-stone.html

At the end of today's journal,
I would like to express my deep grieving and pay respects to the victims of the disaster.
こんばんわ。もう九月の半ばを過ぎたというのに、大阪はまだベタつく蒸し暑さです。皆さんのところはどうですか。

今日は、3月11日のあの津波から全村人を救ったという不思議な石碑についてお話したいと思います。 この話はいつものようにネットで英語のニュースを見ていたときに、たまたま見つけたもので去年の4月20日に記事になったものです。