7 Conceivable Obstacles on Learning Japanese - No 4: Kanji 日本語を学ぶ上で考えられる7つの障壁 - 第4弾: 漢字

•  
  • 995
  • 5
  • 1
Sep 9, 2012 03:06 Japanese learning studying kanji 日本語 日本語習得 学習 漢字
Hi to all readers and thank you for stopping by!
It just now seems to be getting into the time for leaders in the USA and Japan seeking their re-elections. In America, a tension among the citizen looks more heightening than ever recent days. What, on the other hand, is that poor expectation of Japanese people toward the party presidential election? Party members in Japan apparently look like doing something unnecessary for us behind closed doors, while American politics is fiercely involving constituencies in the event nationwide. Oh, I now remembered myself having kept conservative position against delivering my personal view of political matter all the time.

Here is today's topic,
"It's terribly hard for Japanese learners to memorize Kanji aside from Chinese people."

This theme comes from a section of "7 conceivable obstacles you could confront with on the way going along with Japanese" in my previous entry.
http://lang-8.com/145506/journals/1664187/Must-see%253A-7-Annoying-Obstacles-on-Studying-Japanese-%25E6%2597%25A5%25E6%259C%25AC%25E8%25AA%259E%25E7%25BF%2592%25E5%25BE%2597%25E4%25B8%258A%25E3%2581%25AE7%25E3%2581%25A4%25E3%2581%25AE%25E6%2582%25A9%25E3%2581%25BE%25E3%2581%2597%25E3%2581%2584%25E9%259A%259C%25E5%25A3%2581
And at that time I wrote down as "I will engage myself to cover it again in the next journal." So now it's the time. Here we go!

The other day I got an interesting comment on my entry. A reader left some texts was a British cool guy. What rally attracted my attention was a book brought up by him in his comment. Would you like to have a look?

It's titled as 'Remembering The Kanji' that is written by James W. Heisig.
I happened to notice it existing on the internet shortly afterward.
This is the URL:
http://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/publications/miscPublications/pdf/RK4/RK%201_sample.pdf

And the texts at that time I commented back to him are:
"Just now I spotted 'Remembering The Kanji' written by James W. Heisig on the internet and glanced through it. For me, it looked really harder to study than average of Kanji textbooks written in Japanese in Japan (@o@)"

He answered me like:
"I find Heisig's method easier because he takes a different approach to memorizing it."

I gave a reply to him as:
"That's the thing popped into my head when I first saw the book!!! It's true that he(author) takes a various approach to memorizing them. And once you memorize it, it is not easier to slip out of your memory than learning from a ordinary textbook written by a same pattern organized and listed, isn't it?"

In reality, are we really keeping a half of kanjis we learned at the time when we were in school days? I wonder if the kanji we are keeping in our head to use in a daily basis could be only several dozen percentage of whole kanji existing in Japan.
That's true that most of us using Japanese as a mother tongue also are never holding all of kanjis. But no annoyances happens to us in our daily life, even though I encountered not a few unreadable kanjs. But when it comes to English, we feel extremely huge stress and can be stuck on, if we face only a couple of unfamiliar words when reading a book.

Trying to memorize kanji, a important thing is associating it with something but not just memorizing in a simple way like learning kanji list by rote. Is that right? With that said, for myself, I remember trying to memorize whole English dictionary without any feeling. Ha ha!

Good luck with your Japanese (^_-)-☆