Japanese-made English Bother English Learners in Japan and Japanese Learners 語学習得上 和製英語が厄介?

•  
  • 1071
  • 1
  • 1
Sep 4, 2012 23:07 Japanese wasei-eigo Japanese-made English 日本語 和製英語
I wonder how do you think of English words coined in Japan. This is what is called "wasei-eigo" (和製英語).

We usually don't mind using them at all. But what if it comes to Japanese people who are studying English or Japanese learners at home and abroad? At least, as for me, I always feel like rememorizing is wasting our time for acquiring original English words. What do you think of that?

Let me cite several instances.

Custom-made is called as "order-made オーダーメイド" in Japan
Outlet(socket on wall) ..... "concent コンセント"
Key ring ..... "Key holder キーホルダー"
Parking brake, emergency brake ..... "side brake サイドブレーキ"
license plate ..... "number plate ナンバープレート"

On the other hand, there are English words shortened like the following.

Personal computer ..... "pasocon パソコン"
Inside-the-park home run ..... "running homerun ホームラン"
Flat tire ..... "パンク" I assume it comes from "got punctured" in origin.
Infrastructure ..... "Infra インフラ"

Regarding only the above examples of shortened words, I can perceive them in a positive light, from the aspect of what is easier than saying exact English words especially for Japanese people.
But what are "wasei-eigos," オーダーメイド, コンセント, キーホルダー, etc? Obviously they don't seem to need being changed from original language. I want to say something like, "Who are involved in this matter?"

What's more, I used to hear of Japanese learners in confusion caused by an annoying fact.
That is because we also have accurate Japanese words translated from English. Please take a look at the next Katakana Japanese.

English word piano is piano ピアノ in Japanese. Saying banana as a Japanese word is of no matter to us. But you could confuse Japanese people if you call pants or trousers as it is. We can recognize it precisely as far as you call it スラックス or ズボン. What makes the story even more interesting is that: "if you say in Japanese on the phone like the following example, what do you think happens?"

You: 「わかった。お気に入りのTシャツとパンツで行くよ。」
Japanese person: 「おい、大丈夫か、お前!」"Wow, are you all right?"

That't is because your remark you tried to mean "OK, I will come over wearing a favorite T-shirt and pants" gave us a false impression. The Japanese person mistakenly took what you said as this way.
"OK, I will come over wearing a favorite T-shirt and underpants."

That said, as a matter of fact, recently, saying pants might be all right for us to understand rightly. But I wonder if these confusing situations in Japan are one of the factors that put an enormous and needless burden on us learning English and Japanese.
Even now while we are talking about this topic, these annoying Japanese-made English words continue to produce more and more...

Thank you for reading (^_-)-☆
Your comments always would be welcomed ♪
I would appreciate your correction on my English^^