A Bad Guide, part-3 Misfortune Turned Out a Blessing?

•  
  • 201
  • 14
  • 1
When I was walking along Omotesando Street, two young women from Taiwan stopped me and asked the way to the site where street performances are held. I took them to the site. but then the most unexpected thing happened.
What we saw there was――

We reached the site we had been looking for. However, to our surprise, all the performances were over.
It seemed like all the performers had just finished their performances when we arrived there. They were about to put away their instruments.

We were so confused. So I asked one of the performers, who was a fake bronze statue, about the situation. He replied, in what seemed to be a reluctant manner, with his eyes on the security guards in the distance,
"Rules! We cannot perform after 4:30 p.m."

That's too bad!

Later I found out that no performances were permitted after 4:30 p.m. on Sundays.

If the two young women from Taiwan had gone by taxi, they might have seen at least a few minutes of the peak of the performance. I shouldn't have advised them to go there on foot.I felt responsible for it.

I conveyed the bad news and apologized to them about it. They said it was not my fault, but they looked so disappointed.
I felt like I had to do something in apology for them.
I asked them,
"What are you going next? Would you like a guide around the area? Tell me what you want!"
They replied,
"We are going to Meiji Jingu shrine near here next. We would be happy if you could guide us. Thank you."

So I guided them around the Meiji Jingu shrine.
First, I explained the origin of the shrine according to my memory. I told them that it was built in ancient history, in the prehistoric age. Nobody knows for sure when, how and by whom this shrine was built. They listened to my explanations with interest and nodded earnestly.

After that I told them some shrine etiquette.
For example, at the main shrine buildings, we have to do:
1. You put some coins into the offertory box.
2. Bow twice.
3. Clap your hands twice.
4. You may make a wish if you like.
5. Bow once again.
They did it solemnly as I told.

Then they bought lucky charms and drew sacred lots to tell their fortunes of the year.

The most impressive moment was when we came across a traditional Japanese wedding parade. This 野kind of parade became extremely unusual nowadays.

The two young women were so excited to see it and were absolutely delighted. They began to take a lot of pictures.
They said,
"Wow, this is it! This is not fake! It's a real, veritable performance! How wonderful! Our misfortune turned into a blessing!"

A short time later, I parted company with them at the gate of the shrine. They looked like they enjoyed my guide as a whole. I really hope so.

P.S.
I hope they had not checked the origin of Meiji Jingu shrine.
Unlike Ise Jingu shrine which was built in remote antiquity, Meiji Jingu shrine was
built only 92 years ago. Meiji Jingu shrine is relatively new. I mixed up the origin of Meiji Jingu shrine with that of Ise Jingu shrine at that time. My explanation was a fake.

Uh-oh, I was a really bad guide!
Big_en2-f94e3223819fd32ef746d2bb993ffe3d