Expressions and grammar I hate

•  
  • 479
  • 2
  • 1
When I joined Lang-8, I didn't plan on posting in English. I just wanted to try it to see how it works. Because of school, I will have to learn another language in just one year, so I wanted to know if this site could be helpful to me.
I know that when I write in English, I still make mistakes, but that doesn't bother me. As long as others understand what I am trying to say and my mistakes aren't much obvious, it's enough for me. But what DOES bother me, is the fact that there are some things I just can't seem to get right or I am just unsure of. When I am writing something and encounter such expression, phrase or a grammatical rule, it takes my train of thought off its track and I start to think about how I am writing instead of what I am writing. I usually solve this problem by changing my wording or I just skip that part altogether (or I just write it however I want it and hope that it's the right way).

I will start with simple grammar I have problems with - articles. I know they are important but I am not sure when I have to use them and when I don't.
When I have a noun, I have to use it. So it would be something like this: "A pen. The pen (I am talking about) is mine." So much I understand. But if I add adjective, will it change? "a blue pen" or "blue pen"? I think the first one is right, but I know that when I use possessive adjective, it's without article: "my pen." Or even "this pen."
Sigh, I know it's (a) simple grammar but I seem to have problems with basics.