The way of speaking

•  
  • 422
  • 3
  • 0
Lately, when I was reading books that were translated from english and in that translation I saw the moment when they went from "vykání" to "tykání", I was wondering how those translators do that when english doesn't have something like that.
Vykání is formal form of speech we use when we speek with persons who we don't know very well. People like teachers, salesmen in shops, strangers we meet on the street or even with some coworkers. The "vy" in vykání means "you" in plural. So we literaly use plural when talking.
The "ty" in tykání means "you" too, but in singular. We use this to people who are our friends or people younger than specific age, mostly it's around 18, when person becomes officially an adult.
Both "vy" and "ty" means "you" so how can translators add scene in their translation where people are offended that someone used tykání with them or where two people agree that they start to use tykání from now on? They are just adding scenes as they please. It wouldn't be so bad if it was only that but by this change from one way of speaking to another, the translator changes the relationship those people have too. So if two different translators translated the same book using the same words and phrases but decided to change their way of speaking in different moments, they would made two entirely different books. Or does english have something that would indicate that this is the moment they became more friendly and their relationship changed?