Firstly, lectures can easily prepared beforehand by the professor.

•  
  • 131
  • 1
  • 1
Firstly, lectures can easily prepared beforehand by the professor. Thus, this means that usually lectures are clearly structured and easy to follow for the students. They are able to grasp the most important points of a topic easily. In contrast to lectures, discussions often only cover a very small a rea in depth which means that only a small area of the topic can be explored. Recently, I attended a lecture about artificial intelligence. The professor was well prepared and he tried his best but one guy always challenged him and tried dragging im into point less time wasting discussions. I am absolutely sure that everybody was very unhappy about the time wasted by the student´s desire to discuss. Therefore, I prefer lectures to discussions.

Moreover, to be able to engage in an discussions, one needs a strong background in the topic. This means that only the students who are already deeply immersed will participate. The students with inscufficient knowledge will not be able to profit from the discussion. For example I attended an introductory course about statistical methods. It became apparent, that the level of knowledge about statistical methods was very different depending on the students. Because it was a seminar, the professor wanted the students to engage into discussions but there was not coming much good out of it.

In conclusion, I strongly feel that in most cases lectures are preferable to discussions. This is because the former can easily be prepared beforehand by the professor and adresses the different level of the student´s knowledge.

Another exercise for the upcoming TOEFL-exam.