Disagreements (Formal writing)

•  
  • 44
  • 5
  • 2
We all have to exchange opinions and thoughts on different topics every day, whether it be at work, at school or at home. While there are people who consider that disagreeing with others is not a good position to be in, there are many people who are aware of the fact that disagreements are not only common but healthy to exercise our criteria. I personally consider that the important issue is to know how to manage discrepancy.

A disagreement that I can easily think of is the one I had back in college. We were approaching Easter and it came the day when people use to go to church to put cross in their forehead as a sign of their catholic faith. This guy came in and I was truly surprised to see he had put that sign. I knew him well enough to know he was not even sure about God’s existence. So I asked why he had put the sign.

He explained to me that he did so for her mom. His mom had asked him to do it and he wanted to please her. I found that reason to not be valid and I let him know it. I told him one should not do something for no reason, instead, we have to be true to what we think. I was kind of disappointed because that kind of behavior makes us incoherent people. He argued that it was not that important for him and recognized that for him pleasing her mom was of great importance.

At the end, we realized that we would not be able to come to an agreement and simply decided to admit each other’s opinion as legitimate. Although, we did not share our perspectives, we decided to respect them.

To sum up, divergence is not bad, quite the opposite, it is desiderable to sometimes disagree because it allows us to think about what our reasons are to support or contradict a given idea, the important thing is for us to respect other people’s opinion.