Is too much pressure put on children to conform to traditional gender roles?

•  
  • 549
  • 3
  • 1
Recently I saw a Turkish drama movie about young orphaned sisters oppressed to get married by their grandmother and uncles. This theme is timely and interesting. Personally, I do not believe that too much pressure is put on children to conform to traditional gender roles for two reasons.
First, sense of value is changing drastically in recent years. Domestic science was taught only to girls several decades ago, but now both boys and girls are obliged to study. More women go to college after high school than men.
Secondly, there are fewer professions that are occupied by men. Women are getting accepted in the roles which used to be regarded as men’s. For example, it is common to see female taxi or bus drivers and women opinion leaders are prominent.
In conclusion, I do not believe that too much pressure is put on children to
conform to traditional gender roles for the reasons stated above. I do not deny that there is still some pressure to conform to traditional gender roles as women are expected to give birth to children. I strongly support Malara Yousafzai in efforts to provide equal education to girls.