Agree or disagree: The Internet should be free from censorship?

•  
  • 1216
  • 3
  • 2
I respect freedom of speech, however it does not imply that hate speech can be allowed.Personally, I do not believe that the Internet should be free from censorship for two reasons.
First, since the Internet is ubiquitous, even innocent children can access all kinds of information including harmful knowledge. Minors have not developed enough to judge right from wrong and some adults are also not literate enough. For example, you can learn how to commit suicide, how to make bombs, etc online. These detrimental tips should not be disseminated.
Secondly, the Internet can be used as a tool of crimes. There are millions of examples of con arts, dishonoring, selling illegal drugs and so on. Just relying on people’s conscience will never work. The government is supposed to command deletion of such contents. Certain control is indispensable to make our society better.
In conclusion, I do not believe that the Internet should be free from censorship for the reasons stated above. It is hard to decide how much the Internet should be censored. According to Snowden, the government is already abusing its power to collect personal data. We need to discuss more and to find the best balance.