Can economic development be achieved without damage to the environment?

•  
  • 485
  • 1
  • 1
Economic development had been achieved along with pollution. Such pursuit will not be allowed any more, however, humans are greedy to gain profit endlessly. Personally, I believe that economic development can be achieved without damage to the environment for two reasons.
First, pollution decreased remarkably in recent decades. Rivers and the sea are cleaner so that it became possible to swim in Tokyo Bay. We observe less photochemical smog so children rarely experience sore eyes. Nevertheless, Japan remains as one of the biggest economic powers.
Secondly, thanks to the development of technology, it became easier to eliminate harmful substances before emitting them out. It was not known before how much carbon dioxide can harm the environment. Given all the information about bad effects, nobody can ignore the facts. It is highly required to curb carbon dioxide
emissions by Kyoto Protocol.
In conclusion, I believe that economic development can be achieved without damage to the environment for the reasons stated above. Some manufacturers might be lazy to take necessary actions to prevent pollution, but such selfish deeds would be condemned in today’s world. As long as people aspire for better life, there is a possibility of economic growth.