Should news media be more accountable for what it reports?

•  
  • 294
  • 3
  • 1
News media was once a government organ and is now considered independent. Personally, I believe that news media should be more accountable for what it reports for two reasons.
First, Japan slipped further down the global rankings for press freedom lat year according to international watchdog Reporters Without Borders. This is because Japanese media is too much influenced by their advertisers. Although they are expected to report truth, they cannot cover against the profit of their sponsors. Especially, after the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster some important facts seem to have been missing.
Secondly, news media tend to care about only ratings. As a result, it lacks fairness. For example, they bash a politician who is suspected to have used public money for a private purpose. It is not good, however they are supposed to refer to many other similar politicians as well.
In conclusion, I believe that news media should be more accountable for what it reports for the reasons stated above. Since it has great influence on forming public opinion, it might lead to a wrong direction. We should be wiser, too not to believe all what we hear. Now we have the Internet, it is easier to check out.