Is enough being done to integrate people with disabilities into society?

•  
  • 616
  • 6
  • 2
As a medical worker I have a lot to say about this issue. Personally, I do not believe that enough is being done to integrate people with disabilities into society for two reasons.
First, even left-handed people still have obstacles in today’s world. One day I met a lady who was struggling to bring her bicycle upstairs on a conveyor belt which was placed on the right side. I did not realize that it had been designed for right-handed people until then. There are so many systems which were developed for the convenience of right-handed people and we are not usually aware of those facts.
Secondly, authorities say that it is better for children with disabilities to go to special-needs schools. It might be right from one viewpoint but as a result people loose their opportunities to get familiar with disabilities. That makes integration difficult to achieve. There are some handicapped people who feel inferior to others and are afraid to go outside.
In conclusion, I do not believe that enough is being done to integrate people with disabilities into society for the reasons stated above. It is a basic human right so more efforts should be made.