It is common practice for some students to take a gap year between high school and university in order to do charitable work abroad in underdeveloped countries. What are the advantages and disadvantages for young people of doing volunteer work?

•  
  • 1440
  • 6
  • 2

It is not common practice to take a gap year in my country. I have heard
of such practice in some other countries. Personally, I believe that young people have two advantages and two disadvantages in doing volunteer work between high school and university.
First, young people barely know the world but school and home. It
is a good opportunity for them to see different cultures. This kind of experience helps them depict their future better.
Secondly, universities will benefit with diverse students. If there are only
students straight from high school, it is difficult to expect creative ideas. Young people can widen their views by working in developing countries.
As for disadvantages, first, young people will have less income by getting a job one year later. Then they may have to delay their marriage and buying a house. It can be an economic loss.
Secondly, parents have to feed their children longer. That is a big burden. It would delay to save for their retirement.
Finally, I believe that there are two advantages and two disadvantages for young people to take a gap year as I mentioned above. I do not go for it as a mother.