Traditional games vs modern games

•  
  • 11140
  • 0
  • 1
Traditional games are more useful than modern games in developing children’s skills. Do you agree or disagree?

Modern games, especially video games, are taking over traditional games as children’s major leisure activities. Some people think they are of less value when it comes to foster skills. I disagree with this view.

Traditional games, it can be argued, are more conducive to developing skills of solving real-world problems. When children are playing these games, such as hide and seek, they are pushed to confront and deal with problems like navigating a place and cooperating with friends. As they are bound to encounter these problems in life, children are better prepared for the future by familiarize themselves with similar environments. In addition, traditional games often provide abundant opportunities to communicate face to face, helping to hone social skills. By contrast, modern games are often played by children at home where they are more likely to have interaction with machines, so they are less productive in improving interpersonal skills.

However, I believe modern games also have their advantages over traditional ones. The advances in technology have enabled games played on consoles or computers to mimic real-world situations in better ways. In other words, players are likely to gain experiences that are almost the same as in reality. This allows children to practice and reinforce some skills in a virtual world without the need to leave home and the danger of physical harm. For example, children can learn how to drive at home without the risk of actually breaking traffic laws. Moreover, traditional games cannot be compared to their electronic equivalents in terms of keeping up with the times by being exposed to state-of-the-art technologies.

To conclude, it is unjustified to say that traditional games are more valuable than modern ones as both can help children acquire useful skills in life.