Coursera - One More Online Education Venture

• 781
  • 4
  • 1
A short while ago I wrote an entry about Udacity - a free online education site on computer science. Udacity was founded by Dr. Thrun. He was a Stanford Professor and left his tenured position at Stanford and founded Udacity.

The following article is talking about one more online education venture, Coursera.

Online Education Venture Lures Cash Infusion and Deals With 5 Top Universities

Coursera was founded by the scientists, Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller, also from Stanford. According to the article, Coursera has secured $16 million in venture capital and partnerships with five major universities - Stanford, the University of California, Berkeley, the University of Michigan, the University of Pennsylvania and Princeton. They are going to provide a broad array of interactive courses not only in computer science but also in the humanities, social sciences, physical sciences and engineering.

It seems that a big movement is emerging in the field of online education.

By the way I was surprised at the following sentence in the above article:
The free course touched off an intense debate behind the scenes at Stanford, where annual tuition is $40,050.

Is it true that the annual tuition of Stanford is $40,050? I heard that the tuitions in the US are very expensive but $40,050 is beyond my imagination. Probably Stanford is one of the most expensive universities. Even so, I can't believe this price. How can people afford it?