Media of instruction

•  
  • 225
  • 4
  • 3
During a conversation about the educational system in the Philippines I came across the term "media of instruction". It was the first time for me to hear it. Medium of instruction is a language used in teaching. For example, in the Philippines, almost all subjects at all levels of schools, from elementary schools to universities, are taught in English. Thus English is the medium of instruction in the Philippines.

Actually the situation of languages in the Philippines is very complicated. According to the Wikipedia there are over 100 native languages and two of them are considered as the official languages.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_Philippines
With regard to the media of instruction, it was Spanish before the World War II and then it became English and now is under the transition from English to Filipino. There must be a lot of discussion about which language should be chosen as the media of instruction in the Philippines.

On the other hand almost all education in Japan is provide in Japanese. Even English is taught in Japanese. Most Japanese people take it for granted that education is given in the native language. There is no discussion about which language should be used for the education. Thus I haven't recognized the notion of media of instruction.

There aren't many countries in which people can receive the higher education in their native language. Japan is one of such rare countries. In this aspect Japanese people are very lucky but regarding English skills Japanese people have a few chances to develop it.

By the way I found a question and an answer about media of instruction in a Q and A site:
http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1152306306
question:
> ★大至急★【media of instruction】を日本語に翻訳願います。
answer:
> 例えばCD、手紙、電話、テレビなどは音楽、文章、声や映像などの情報を伝達するのに用いられるものの手順
>
> という意味です^^

The answer is marked as a best answer but it is completely incorrect. It is not only incorrect in its meaning but also incorrect in Japanese grammar. Why is it a best answer? I can't believe it.