A hint of Neapolitan

•  
  • 710
  • 4
  • 0
Neapolitan are great "philosophers", comedians, and passionate people.
This video is a part of a movie called "Welcome to the South (of Italy)", a remake of the French movie "Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis".
In this movie, a Lombard postal employee, Alberto Colombo, requests a transfer to Milan, but there's no vacant post so he is asked to manage a postal office in a little town in the South of Italy.
Alberto is very prejudiced about Southern people, he accepts but is not so happy to go there.
In this video Alberto is dining with the other employees. Now he likes very much to live there and during this dinner the others try to teach him Neapolitan words.

The video is too long to translate so I pick only some pieces.
At the beginning they are talking about the dishes. They're saying dishes' names.
One of them invites their chef, Alberto ("Direttò"), to "spazzulare" , that means "Eat a little of each dish!"
Because it's quite natural for them to talk in Neapolitan, they begin to explain how other people can learn to talk like them and the first thing they advice is to remove the last letter of each word, so that:
"telecomando" (the remote control) becomes "telecomand",
"bicchiere" (the glass) becomes "bicchier",
"piatto"(the plate) becomes "piatt",
"forchetta" (the fork) becomes "forchett",
"coltello" (the knife) becomes "coltell",
"uomo"(a man) becomes "uom"..
Then they explain that in Neapolitan also a single vowel has a meaning just like a word:
"E" means assertion, you mean "yes, that's right".
When someone uses "o", he wants to warn.
"I" means "to go" (the actor says "I me n'aggia i" that means "I must go now")
"U" generally is used with "A", that becomes "Ua" and means amazement.

(Maybe in Japanese it is the same!!^^)

At the end the girl suggests her chief to order.
(She says "Iamme ia" (Hurry up!))
Unfortunately the waiter is from Veneto, so can't understand what he said!