Food cultures closely reflect ethnic cultures largely because every...

•  
  • 35
  • 0
  • 0
Food cultures closely reflect ethnic cultures largely because every ethnic group’s food culture derives from geographical environments, climate conditions, agricultural resources, ethnic habits, transportation, and other variables closely associated with the shaping of culture. Also, in the presence of food, ethnic groups use their senses of smell, sight, taste, texture, and even sound to form broader ethnic memories passed down from one generation to the next.
Food culture is a cultural heritage. It reflects not only the eating habits of ethnic groups but social and economic life, as well. As time goes by, food culture comes to symbolize ethnic groups.
Zhang and Yang (2004) noted that ethnic groups, despite having certain culinary and dietary characteristics in common, can create and develop their own food culture. It is important to keep in mind that food culture refers to much more than food itself: utensils, techniques, cooking methods, and indeed such abstract elements as psychology and ideology make up food culture.