• 910
  • 0
  • 1
  • English 
Mar 19, 2012 21:08
Fukushima was famous for its fruits - apples, pears
and peaches. When we watched a soccer game on TV
together in the living room, my brother's wife peeled
a peach for me.

I eat
the pink peach.
Though very delicious,
a trace of cesium
has just entered my body.


I can't see cesium,
nor hear it,
nor feel it,
it's an invisible

However, honestly speaking, I didn't know whether the
trace of cesium was my enemy or not. Some experts said
that it may be good for the health as long as it's just
a trace. Others said it was very dangerous. I don't know
which is true. Strictly speaking, even experts don't
know the truth. In the future,I'll be able to see what
effect cesium will have, good or bad. But now I do want
to know whether I will contract cancer or not!

This is the common,
latent anxiety
of many residents living near
the Fukushima
Atomic Power Plant.

I talked of the radioactive contamination with my brother. What he told
then about a dairy farmer was a great shock to me. I examined the details
by reading lots of articles about the farmer in old magazines. The summary
was as follows :

A 54 years old dairy farmer lived peacefully in a small village near
the Fukushima Plant with his Philippine wife and two sons. His family
was very happy as he kept about 40 cows and worked very hard with his
wife together every day. He built a new workshop to earn more money
because his sons were very young. He prepared a new satchel for his
elder son and expected that the entrance ceremony at the elementary
school would be held in April.
But the Fukushima Plant exploded after a huge tsunami hit Fukushima
on March 11. The wind from the plant spread the cesium all over the
fields,mountains and houses of his village. The milk from his cows
contained lots of cesium as he had fed them grass which he had mowed
there every morning. He threw out all the milk contaminated by the
cesium every day.
His wife evacuated from the village to The Philippines with their
 two sons before the entrance ceremony at the elementary school because
they were concerned for the health of their sons. He remained by himself
and kept working in Fukushima for a while. At last he gave up milking
the cows and went after his wife and sons in The Philippines.
However, he was not able to understand the Philippine language. So
he could not get a job there. He returned to Fukushima alone in May.
But he had neither cows nor his family in the village. He was a tree
without roots.

A dairy farmer
left this message
on a wallboard:
" If the Plant hadn't exploded,
I wouldn't have killed myself. "